My Equation With Math

I took an exam today that could very possibly be the last Math Exam I ever take.
Wow. After writing that sentence, re-reading it 5 times, I still cant get over it!

Mathematics. In my family (and the extended one too) this subject is a passion for most (read maternal family). The paternal side don't quite passionately discuss the same, but it's something that is supposed to come naturally.

Maths aa? Adalaam namaku natural-aa vey nalla varum.
[Oh Maths? LOL (literally, except here it'd be the conceited proud one!) It just comes so naturally to us!]

Oh and you know that stereotype? The one where if you're a South-Indian, more specifically a TamBrahm Maths is just in your blood and there is nothing you can do about it. It's just it. Period.

By the way-I'm not gonna do Math bashing or family bashing for that matter. This post is about my relationship with M.

It started out way back when. Ma, Math-her obsession and teaching-her passion. Every car-ride involved adding up the digits from the number plates of the numerous cars that passed us. Sometimes it was a competition between Archita (my cousin) and me! But obviously, I had to impress my love (M) and try doing better!

I learned Vedic Mathematics. Not fully. But whatever little my ego allowed me to learn from Ma. Yes, I'm still stubborn that way. Yes, I did attend tuition classes for Math despite having Ma right beside me.

I had this ... ritual of a kind where I used to watch a movie (preferably in the theater) before a Math exam. See, we were just so cool-I could actually manage to take it easy before a test with M :)

Over the years we grew together. It wasn't bad. The first high point we reached, in our relationship was Class 8. Final Examinations. Ma and Appa were out of station. I scored a 92! It took quite a while to sink in!

Then Class 9 happened. A low point. Oh well, every relationship has its lows...

In Class 10, Ma realized there was no way that I would sit with her to study and a Math tuition was the best option. Enter Mukesh Sir's classes.

Truly one of the most enjoyable times of my life. Friends. Random adventures. Food. The life!

And it did boost my arrogance once in a while when Sir pointed out to me at times because he wanted a 100 per cent from me. It felt awesome to know someone thought you had the potential. And then, in school, when my teacher told me that even if my answer was wrong, I'd get marks because my paper was presented really neatly. Fine. I'll stop bragging :D

Class 10. Board Examinations. Mathematics. The questions looked easy enough. I went from question to question, conquering them one at a time. A question for 3 marks-coordinate geometry posed a problem. I just couldn't come to an answer! I finished the rest of my paper, revised it all. Came back to this-it just refused to be solved! Oh well...

I saw my father at the School's gates, we sat in the car. I dumped my question paper.

And then I saw it...

Believe me when I say-the tears didn't stop for hours.

I had read the word bisected as intersected. No wonder I never solved that sum. To know that I was 3 away from reaching the pinnacle of this relationship made me feel almost as if my spirit were broken... [I do indeed have a flair for the dramatic :)]

The tears dried up after a few hours.

Result Day.
Mathematics 97

I still can't believe it.

You know, a picture of mine could have been all over the city for scoring a 100? The most disappointing reactions were those of my teachers. They just said-Hmm. Not a good. Hmm okay.

Oh before *result day* I took an important decision-one that would extend our ... relationship by a minimum of 2 years. Among the options I had to for subjects in Humanities, I had one between Math and Political Science. The choice was obvious! Yes, I took Math.

I don't remember thinking twice about the ... *other* possibility.

I love my family. And I'm not mad at them for this. But somewhere, I think for them-taking up Math was a saving grace of sorts. You see, we've a hierarchy down south. And it goes something like this :

SCIENCE

Commerce

humanities

So you can figure out where I'd rank in the hierarchy :) Tamilians are just supposed to be meant for Science. It's an obvious choice for most. As far as I remember, hardly any of my relatives have pursued Humanities. At least not at the School level. Commerce subjects make their random appearances. In fact, Madras/Chennai, a huge metropolitan, has only 3 or 4 schools that offer Humanities' subjects. Oh well...

[Whoa, that hierarchy part belongs to another post I'm working on! Will write ASAP :)]

Anyway, Class 11, right after the results (remember the 97? *smirks*), when I came to school, I became really complacent. I got 97 yo! No one can mess with me. I'm a genius. w00t!

It wasn't a good year for us.

As I entered Class 12, I was determined to make it our year. M & I needed it :)

I failed my first Unit Test. A shock. I know I hadn't put in effort, but I couldn't fail! Because that just doesn't happen. It never had.

I got over it and decided to work it. Really put in efforts and be the queen of the world! I thought I worked hard. I did pass this time, just pass.

I was disappointed. It felt like all that work didn't pay off.

I started slacking. Took it easy. Started ignoring M.

I took another set of exams. Failed Math. It was my first Pre Board. Which is when, talking to my friend made a difference. C V Ashwin. Or C v as we call him :) On Chat, he asked me whether just because I put in efforts once and it didn't work out well meant I should give up completely? It was not excuse enough to start slacking, but to just start working again! Thanks C v :)

And I did start working. Not awesome results. But better.

The whole of February was spent in Chandigarh. You could call it couple counselling ;)

We worked. Worked hard. At least I put in efforts.

Today I took my what could possibly be the last Math exam I'll ever take.

We parted on good terms :)

P.S.-I do not hate Math. In fact I sometimes enjoy solving certain sums. I may be intelligent enough to grasp the concepts. But I'm lazy/uninterested in ... indulging in that as a passion. And I don't wanna disrespect it as a subject either :)

P.P.S.- Yes. I do realize I'll have Math all around me. For life. But Integration and 3-Dimensional Geometry were the bane of my existence for the last one year. So for me, they're over!

Comments

Radhika Saxena said…
Aww.
M and S.
Sweet couple you guys were.
I like the post I mean DUDE,you mention CV in it hahaha!
I like how you used the idea I propelled =)
Nice nice.
Glad its over for you =)
And I'm sorry if I ever bugged with math or something. I won't do,pwomise behen.
=)
Sharmada said…
YES. Emm and Yess :)
Thanks. But good things never last for long :(
Haha-C V. I feel bad for forgetting to mention Manas-technically my Math Pal LOL
And dummy, you never bugged me with it! :)
Anonymous said…
this is so adorable!
hit 1000 hits soon :)
-ksheeraja

Popular Posts