The Hampi Diaries : #2 Ham-ein kyun jaana chahiye

In a shocking display of keeping up with the promise I had made yesterday, in my previous blog, here comes Chapter 2.

Hampi isn't your stereotypical popular tourist destination. Actually, let me rephrase that. Hampi isn't that stereotypical or popular destination that you may know of.

The thing is, its not a destination that would be in the top places to visit within India for the average Indian. It doesn't have a beach. It's not a hill station. It's not a metropolitan. Definitely not a shopping paradise. Its not exactly important on the pilgrimage map either. Of course, history buffs would know of the place. And even they aren't history aficionados, those who paid attention in History classes would remember stuff like the Stone Chariot, the Monolith Bull, the Mahanavami Dibba, etc. But this visit to Hampi unveiled an interesting fact. It seems to be a hot destination within India for Europeans.

Now, I don't have statistical data backing me. But get this - on the boat, while crossing the Tungabadra to get to the ruins, there were about 4 Indians (the boatwalah, my cousins and me) and about 10 non-Indians/mostly Europeans. I saw less Indians on the entire trip. It's possible that I may have spotted more Indians back in my 25 day long trip to the USA in 2011. Granted, its not a fair comparison but it took me back to the time when my cousin Archita and I were in Singapore and then Kuala Lumpur for our first outside of India trip and a game we played. A game in which we'd say, 'Defo' to each other to indicate that we spotted an Indian. It began with 'Indian'. Then went to 'Definitely Indian' and then was shortened to 'Defo'. In our defense, the sms language/short-form culture had just started. And plus, we needed to be a little covert.

Anyway, getting back to the point, to quote my cousin's Facebook status, "Want to meet foreigners? No need to go abraaad, just go to Hampiii. " An uncle who was our neighbor for a day at the Guest House we stayed at mentioned how so much of phoren/firang attention could be attributed to a BBC documentary shot a year or two ago.

After this two-day trip, I believe, it should be on the go-to list for Indians as well. Let me describe it with the help of other places in India which are on the tourist map. 
  • Goa! Not only is Hampi not-too-far from Goa, its a little bit similar. Yes, I'm aware Goa is known for the beaches and Hampi doesn't even have one. But the thing is, landscape-wise, it reminds you of Goa - except the boulder rock mountains seem a unique addition. The trees, the winding roads, scattered idyllic houses. People riding bikes and scooties. The shops near 'Boat Point' remind me of the shops lining the road that led to ... well, um, I forget the name, but it's one of those famous beaches. They have almost the same merchandise. Which brings me to :
  • Paharganj - not a tourist destination or a city, yes but one of my favorite places in Delhi. Now Paharganj, like Hampi, is full of people not Indian. Its not something that could be labeled mainstream. It gives the feel of a hippie settlement! I may/may not be criticized for using that term. In the movie Dev D, the place was given a different image than what I describe here - which is what its dark alleys are like at night. Its full of cheap/economical accommodations and is right next to the New Delhi Railway Station. Its got German Bakeries and Cafes that serve bheyjchoumeen as well as hummus and pita bread which are recommended by Lonely Plant. Jhola bags, beautiful ear-rings, cool hippie clothes - purple coloured comfortable pants, bright dresses, t-shirts with buddha/om/shiva etc. You get the deal.  
  • Any city with historical monuments. Don't think I need to explain much here. Personally, I find it brilliant to visit such historical sites and see whats left of them (and not so much what's been made on them like bunty loves pinky) and try imagine how it was back in the day. 
  • Any uncrowded hill station - this, even though Hampi is not at an altitude. The thing is, you can just roam around, cycle or sit and read a book, away from the hustle bustle of city-life and lights. The air is unpolluted. There are boulder rocks all around! 


Why should you go to Hampi? To go explore Indian heritage, some brilliant architecture. To take a laid back vacation - alone or with friends or even family. Go cycle. Or sit by the lake or river and read a book or listen to music. Take photos! Oh and there are tons of temples - through many of which you can see the Ramayana theme woven into.

End of Chapter 2.

Comments

Popular Posts