Birthday Lunch

There is a lot I could have, or rather, should have written about in the past month. It is indeed, almost two months since I began attending a Master's degree program (at my dream University). It is an exciting world in itself and there has been some exploration and some experiences I want to write about. But it's time for a break. Lets get The Lunchbox out.

The Lunchbox is a movie you've probably heard about a lot, of late. And rightly so.  

While I am a sworn DDLJ fan and sure, I watch any sort of rom-com, I think I love it best when a love story unfolds the way The Lunchbox did. Without a twisted plot with parents who're not too thrilled about boy+girl; or clueless boy and clueless girl; or a love a triangle; or song and dance in chiffon saris in the Alps; or claiming to not believe in love but falling in love and be all filmy. I guess I like it a lot better when a film isn't being 'filmy' and tells me a love story. 

For instance, I love Before Sunrise and its sequel, Before Sunset. These are movies set within the span of a day. It's just the two of them (Ethan Hawke and Julie Delphy), roaming about a city (ah, European cities), talking. Borrowing from Before Sunrise, the conversations are sort of about 'the poetry of day to day life'. And other things. And that's just it. The beauty of an entire film being about conversations and kind of seeing two people fall for each other. It doesn't have necessarily have to be witty. It probably could do without being too philosophical or existential. 

You've probably read or heard about the story line of The Lunchbox and so I won't get into explaining that. Watch the movie because it's beautiful. I'm a fan of old school methods of communication, like hand written letters - so the movie is all the more appealing to me. Watch it to enjoy a normal day in Mumbai. Watch it to think about what you want to have next for dinner/lunch. Watch it for serendipity in play. Watch it for Nimrat Kaur, Irrfan Khan and Nawazuddin Siddiqui. Watch it for random moments captured that make you smile. 

Now that we're done with lunch, at 1.26 AM,

Happy 15th birthday, Google! 


Its amazing how Google makes me feel disabled and enabled at the same moment. Disabled in my capacity to think on my own or to refer to physical copies of books such as the dictionary. Enabled in ways I cannot even list. MajorDependencyIssues. 

There are people who you can't imagine this world without - parents, siblings, close friends. And then there is Google. Similar to parents, siblings, close friends, Google is just as taken for granted. 

Comments

Popular Posts