J(aa)NU & Me - Second Monthiversary.

Today marks exactly two months of me attending a Master's degree at this University. And something I have now gotten used to is seeing people be all impressed upon hearing the name. The conversation goes on these lines:

Person X: Aur sunao, what's up? Where're you doing now-a-days?
Me: Oh, I'm at JNU for my MA in Sociology *keep wondering if I should have said in or at JNU as I say it*
Person X: Woah! Oh Em Gee. JAY EN YOO! That's totally awesome. So cool. *while thinking, 'wow, seriously? She got in?*
And I smile sheepishly and say, "Hehe yes, it's pretty cool."
Sometimes, that would be also be followed with:
Person X: I've seen Raanjhanaa btw! Loved it!
Me: Oh, good good. I haven't seen it. *while looking blank and remembering Dhanush's Kolaveri*

So, while I'm still used to that one, the one I get caught in trying to answer is, 'How's it like being in JNU?' (or at JNU? Damn you, English). It brings about a similar confusion that the question, 'Where're you from?' engenders in my mind. This is probably because I have multiple answers. For instance, in terms of native culture, geographic region, ancestry, the size of my eyes, mother tongue -Tamil Nadu. Birthplace? Madras. Where did I do my schooling and grow up till I was about 15? Chandigarh. What city holds a place in my heart? Chandigarh. But wait, I'm in Delhi. But I've only done my 11th & 12th classes and undergrad, and now postgrad here. So which part do you want to know? I realise my answer doesn't have to be this complicated and usually I try to fit it all in one line. But then, maybe I shouldn't over estimate the interest of the other person and all sorts of answers, right?

Coming to how it's like being in JNU ... multiple answers again. I wonder which part you'd like to know. Therefore, this blog post is an attempt to throw some more light on that and in the process, hopefully figure it out for myself.
[If you want to know stuff apart from the three questions and their answers as listed below, um, scroll down. Kthxbai.]

What does the campus look like? Maane, hariyali hai? Ya sirf woh 8 floor wali library type buildings?

IT'S BEAUTIFUL. Before JNU, the two campuses I was in love with were Punjab University, Chandigarh and University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Now, without a doubt, I'm in love with this campus the most. Rumored to be about 1000 acres (according to their website), it's got the balance in terms of buildings, wilderness, mystery, populated pockets (people, dogs, peacocks, etc.) and places like Parthasarthy Rocks. As some one who loves green and loves roads to walk on without having to think too much about being run over - two thumbs up. I think there is a lot of the campus that I've yet to see. I have three and a half semesters more to do that, if not more. 

What does it take to start a Dhaba in JNU?
A PhD

(Yes, I did indeed crack that one.)
While most of the city may be asleep at 1 AM, Ganga Dhaba - as one of my professors put it, 'is the alternate university in the system' - would beg to differ. As would the 24*7 Dhaba. Which brings me to the food. While every School (I'm in the School of Social Sciences) has it's own canteen, the campus is interspersed with Dhabas. The one closest to SSS is run by a guy who finished his PhD from JNU. Mamu's Dhaba has the best nimbu paani. At least, as of now. I also love the pyaz parantha there. The North East Dhaba is lovely - the best lemon tea I've ever had. As well as golden brown mushrooms. 24*7 which is adjacent to the North East Dhaba, is a joy to find open at 2 AM or 5.30 AM or 4 PM. The ice-cream there - 'no one can eat just one' - seriously. Wait, what advertisement was that jingle a part of? I've yet to go to Mughal Darbar, but like I said, three and a half semesters.

What is my class like? 

The classes have this element of diversity in perspective and discussion that is nothing like I have ever experienced before. I believe that the strength of my class is roughly 80+ or about 90. From Kashmir to Kerala, Arunachal Pradesh to Chhatisgarh to Bihar to Punjab to Orissa, lots of cultural diversity. Add to it academic diversity - not every one is a graduate in Sociology. This is something I particularly find interesting. I know kids who studies Sociology with me and would wonder why anyone would pursue it at a Master's degree level. Here, there are IT professionals, civil engineering graduates from IIT to journalism majors to economics majors studying with me. At times, I envy them as to how they view something we're studying, especially when it is something I have studied previously in my undergrad. In some courses, we have foreign nationals - French or Nepalese or Bangladeshi.

Other random things: 

Something I found across JNU is that people are helpful. This is not to imply that outside campus runs a social current that causes people to not be helpful. But it's just something you'd probably understand if you experienced it. For instance, people wouldn't take 'I don't have a place to stay the night and so I can't attend this talk' as a valid reason. They'd tell you to not worry about it and that was something that could be figured out - someone could adjust and offer up space in their hostel. One of my seniors eased the admission process considerably and I remember being amazed by that - and he continues to check in and help out if need it.

Yes, I have also begun to have a cup of chai every single day at about 11, when we get our break. It does still feel weird - I usually don't take sugar in my tea/coffee and well, this does have sugar in it. It also feels weird being a coffee person. But I would rather have chai outside, where they don't make filter coffee.

It is very easy to get lost and lose track of your degree. Attendance is not compulsory - as my professor put it, freedom is taken to a higher level, one where the student has the freedom to not attend a class if he/she felt that his/her time could be put to better use. And it's a three-day week for me, this semester. There is a lot of reading expected of you to be done at the MA level. Simply getting the photocopies on time isn't enough, because by now, I've figured out for sure that osmosis does not work in absorbing knowledge. There is a reason you're given deadlines that much in advance - it is not for you to laugh at them when they're 2 days away. The atmosphere in JNU is pretty politically charged. In fact, I feel like it's a more relate able level that the all-India level on most days, for me. The campus is a mini-India, anyway. So if you're politically inclined, it is possibly easy to get lost in that as well.

Oh, for those of you who assume that the idea of a JNU student automatically translates into a kurta-chappal wearing, jhola carrying type - yaar, chup karo. So you will have those who wear kurtas, chappals, carry jholas. You'll have those carrying laptop backpacks. You'll have women who wear a pair of heels. You'll see people in tee-shirts and shorts. Like whatevs.

@2 months, this is what I think and have observed. And maybe I'm forgetting some points. I'll add that sometime else, if I recall em. I wanted to do a whole different post on the JNUSU elections but it's been a while since they took place. Letseee.

Also, I changed the blog template and font - hope it's for the better. And um, do comment because you know, I need to know that the page views aren't going up because I visit my own page too damn often. And also because I'd like to know what to work on (apart from posting more regularly, perhaps). Maybe you can comment and tell me about the in/at thing - I've a feeling my brother will do that in an email instead.

Comments

Sarthak Ahuja said…
Sharma ji! Such a nice post. And I kept thinking why you would crib about it otherwise! It makes me want to visit your campus, if not as a student, then definitely as a local tourist to try out all the good food and take long walks in the wilderness.

Also, the blog template looks much, much better. Love it :)
Sharmada said…
Ahuja Saab!
Glad you liked it - you are invited to visit, seriously. Bas text karo, fix karo plan. Kewl?

And thank you for the input :)
anand said…
Charming, enlightening read, as always :)

On in-vs-at, though - I have little enlightenment to offer (with even less charm).

From what I can gather from the tangled strands of the interwoven interwebs - size and specificity are two factors one must apparently consider: One, thus might be - in relatively large, general spaces and times (you live in the great nation of India, your beloved university is in Delhi (though another beloved city may reside in your heart), you bunk class in the morning); while one is supposedly at smaller or specific instances of spaces and times (you're chillin' at Parthasarthy Rocks, you're gorging on ice cream at the dhabha - that you visit at 1:00 AM).

So how big is a 1000 acres? Big enough for you to be in it? You decide...

Look forward to more tales from JaaNU...

Popular Posts