Amreeka Trip [Three] I want to go to there.

30 Rock

I’m a Tina Fey/30 Rock fan. PilgrimageAlert. And since I was in New York, I had to pay a visit to the Rockefeller Center. On my last visit to New York, I think my uncle dropped us there for about 5 minutes to look around, so we could cover driving through other parts of the city. I had also heard that the view from atop 30Rock was pretty great. Looking at the crowd that day though, we decided to come another day. Instead, we went to the NBC Experience Store. While it was mostly filled with Jimmy Fallon paraphernalia – there was sizeable Friends merchandize. Archita picked up a couple of ‘Friends’ t-shirts and I bought an ‘I want to go to there’ fridge magnet (one of Tina’s catch phrases from the show). The cashier was pretty chatty.

Surprise, surprise.

I say this because almost every American I have interacted or rather, not interacted with at all, seems chatty. Back in 2011, during my first trip to the US, on Day 1 in Ann Arbor, I spent the entire day convinced that my brother had made many friends all over, during his Master’s program. My brother is a friendly person, but I think it’s safe to say that my general social circuit was always much bigger than his. I was impressed. By the end of the day, I came to realise that my brother didn’t really know all these fine people of Ann Arbor. It was just them being nice and saying, “Hey! What’s up?” to us, random strangers, while they were on a run or just leisurely walking past. They were pleasant to us without any reason – for just a couple of seconds, which really didn’t hurt anyone. It takes a while to also know that you don’t necessarily have to engaged in conversation – just smile or say hi (or “What’s up?” because apparently that is perfectly acceptable in today’s parlance, in place of “Hi”). In fact, after having spent a month getting used to this, when I got back home, it seemed to have rubbed off on me. Once, someone rang the bell at 3 PM – the time when you’re contemplating that afternoon siesta, the time when sales people or fundraisers ring your doorbell, leaving you annoyed. Instead, when I opened the door, I was quite chirpy and said, “Haaaiiii!” (those of you who know me know that haiiiii), thus leaving this boy and girl extremely puzzled and shocked out of their wits. The guy asked me, sounding slightly fearful for odd reason, whether I knew them from before because they certainly hadn’t seen me before (they came from an NGO, asking for funds, btw). Feeling embarrassed, I lied saying they looked like my friends and I was mistaken.

Anyway, a part of the conversation I had with the cashier:
Cashier: Is this your first time in New York?
Me: No, I actually visited about 4 years ago.
Cashier: Aaaha, so it seems to have called you back!
Me: I guess so! Certainly not complaining.
Cashier: But you know, New York is so crowded and there are just way too many people. Might be uncomfortable for you.
Me: I’m from India, I think we trump you guys in terms of population generally.
Cashier: Oh really? Alright then. Have a good day.

I don’t know whether or not to feel surprised about the “Oh really?”

On my last trip to the US, we visited Ann Arbor (a university town that reminded me of Chandigarh), Detroit (which was a ghost down, post 2008), Washington DC (saw lots of tourists like us, but yes, sort of crowded), parts of New Jersey (very suburban), New York (I’ll come to this soon), Aurora – near Chicago (suburban), Chicago (touristy and semi-crowded), LA and around (during the 4th of July weekend, bound to be crowded). Of all these places I visited, I think I felt most comfortable in New York City. Granted, we spent a day and a half, mostly in Manhattan. But still, there were people all around. In population terms, New York is close to 4 times that of Chicago or LA. And still less than New Delhi. My mother often jokes how in most places in the US, one can’t spot dogs, birds or people. It sounds better when said in Tamil. New York feels like less of a shock to an Indian. At least that’s how I feel. And of course, the city has a lot more to it than just the sheer number of people.

Central Park

Once we were done doing all things touristy and otherwise at the Rockefeller Center, we headed to Central Park. I had to meet someone and pass on a package (not shady, btw, as this sentence seems to indicate. Really). IndianCourierServices. Since the person was near Strawberry Fields in Central Park, we decided to walk from the subway station to that side of the park. It’s gorgeous! Our Delhi’s Central Park is central as it is in the center of Connaught Place and park because of the green and all, but otherwise a joke in front of the one in NYC. The one in New York is massive (about 3.41 km sq for those who need numbers). It is a lovely walk, with visuals of the Manhattan skyline from time to time. There were those in horse carriages. Others jogging past. A photoshoot arranged by parents for their young daughter.

And then, within minutes a drizzle turned into rain and we had to exit the park to get some shelter. We walked around and passed the American Museum of Natural History and other interesting landmarks. We spotted a Shake Shack and decided to snack up. The crinkly fries were so perfect at that point of time – the closest thing to having pakoras at that time I guess. The rains had lessened to an almost drizzle. Just alright for us to resume walking, without the raindrops being annoying. It wasn’t completely dark just yet. It was a lovely walk to nowhere. We ended up at a shoe store though. The US trip was also in part, the search for Archita’s first pair of boots. If I’m not wrong, we stopped by the DSW Designer Warehouse. We had to abandon the search for the day, though. The one was far yet. Our next stop was Dublin House, home to Divija’s favourite Guinness. Dublin House is a cosy little Irish pub. It wasn’t too crowded when we visited – kind of the perfect amount. We sat around for a while and then headed out again to grab dinner.

Top Row: near Strawberry Fields, Central Park.
Bottom Row: Horse carriage in Central Park, Rockefeller Center

If I hadn’t mentioned in my earlier post, Italian, Mexican and Mediterranean are usually the go-to cuisines for vegetarians abroad. Freddie & Peppers was the closest pizza place. It was tiny! But had some decent options for toppings. It was pretty homely. Also, had a lot of photos of famous people who had eaten food. And I thought I saw that only back home (photos of paranthas eaten by Ranbir Kapoor etc.).

We finally got around to heading home. It was quite a close call with low phone batteries, tired bodies and race to get an Uber. Through most of our trip, we Uber Pool’d it – a good option if you’re a group of 2-3. Basically, it’s a fixed fare to your destination if you pool along with someone headed that side of town. Uber cabs were also the source of some interesting conversations I’ve had.
Our driver for the night was a Chinese American. As we made our way back into Williamsburg, we exchanged views on culture, education and other random things. One of the interesting things he mentioned was how he believed Indians were far more hard-working and smarter than the Chinese – he was full of praises (not sure if it was because he had a few Indian girls riding with him though). He was interested in understanding the value of education for Indians and how people get married – how marriages are arranged, about the joint family, etc. He also mentioned towards the end that he ran or at least was part of this dating website for college grads - in a sense, indicating a cocktail of sorts of most of what we discussed. 

And soon after, our Saturday night gave in to sleep. 


Comments

Popular Posts